Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane


Twenty-five years ago, Dave Boyle got into a car. When he came back four days later, he was different in a way that destroyed his friendship with Sean Devine and Jimmy Marcus. Now Sean's a cop, Jimmy's a store owner with a prison record and mob connections, and Dave's trying hard to keep his demons safely submerged. When Jimmy's daughter Katie is found murdered, each of the men must confront a past that none is eager to acknowledge. Lehane tugs delicately on the strands that weave this neighborhood together, testing for their strengths and weaknesses; this novel seems as much anthropological case study as thriller.

I got into Dennis Lehane when I saw the Previews of the movie Shutter Island. I picked up the book and fell in love with it. I was hoping that it would be the same case with Mystic River and I have to say that I was disappointed. While Lehane has a very simliar style to Stephen King, they both have their hit or misses.

Mystic River had too many unnesscary details that had nothing to do with the plot of the story. Even though the book was only 496 pages, I felt that it could have been done in 300 pages or less and could have been alot better. The details pretty much turnt me off of the book and I had to force myself to finish it. However, the characters were very likable but I could not relate to any of them expect Dave's wife. My favorite character ended up being a douche bag though, of course.

I recommend this book if you can deal with ALOT of details but if not, this book won't be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment